Rice Koji is the most inportant ingredients for Miso paste. Koji is a type of fungus that helps fermentation. It is Urban Hippie’s secret. But I can show you how to make it.
- Rince rice with cold running water for few times. Then leave for over night.
- Drain water with colander and leave for a couple of hours.
- Steam rice until rice is soften.
- Place rice to a bowl then cool down to body temperature.
- Inoculate Koji culture. Mix very well with your hand.
- Put rice in a shallow tray, cover with damped cloth. Leave in a incubator for 40 hours. Keep temperature of rice around 38℃ and high humidity. Mix few times while rice in the incubator. After 8 hours, temperature will rise themselves. So keep your eyes open for temperature that doesn’t rise higher than 43℃.
- After 40 hours, take rice out from the incubator. Leave rice for a while for cooling down and dries a little.
You can keep fresh rice koji in a fridge for a couple of week otherwise freeze it. You can make own Miso paste at home with fresh Koji, even you can make home made cloudy Sake.
We sell fresh Rice Koji $18.00/kg.